USCIS Releases Updated I-9 Handbook for Employers
By Sally Weldin, Sr. Human Resource Specialist
Published March 14, 2017
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), a division of the Department of Homeland Security, has issued an updated Handbook for Employers, a detailed guide for completing the Form I-9. The Form I-9 is used for workplace verification of an employee’s employment eligibility and identity. The updated Handbook is a companion guide to the new Form I-9 issued last fall which became mandatory for use January 22, 2017.
The Handbook, also issued January 22, 2017, contains information regarding:
- Why the Form I-9 must be completed;
- Which employees must complete the Form I-9;
- Timeline of verification of Form I-9 documents;
- How each Form I-9 section should be completed and by whom; and
- A Q&A section and photos of USCIS-issued documents and certain visa and immigration categories.
Members may access the updated Handbook and new Form I-9 through the Management Association’s website in the Forms and Sample Documents section of our Member Resources menu.
The Handbook is also available from the USCIS website.
For further assistance completing the new Form I-9, our HRExplained video offers detailed instructions.
Members with questions on the updated USCIS Handbook and/or new Form I-9 can contact the HR Hotline at 800-448-4584 or firstname.lastname@example.org.