By Candace Fisher, SPHR, Director, Organizational Development/Certified Coach
Published March 12, 2019
“Protecting Your Greatest Assets” is the topic that was addressed in the Crisis Response workshop hosted by HR Source and presented by Perspectives Ltd. on March 7, 2019. The workshop was one of the events HR Source planned to help our members prevent, prepare for, and respond to critical situations and emergencies in the workplace.
One of the most important issues in protecting your organization and its employees is access control. Access control involves various elements of your building.
- Who is allowed on your property?
- Who is allowed in the building?
- How do you control and limit that access?
- Do you control and limit access to employee areas?
- In the event of an emergency/lockdown or a soft lockdown, are there clear procedures in place?
- Do all areas have adequate locks to limit access?
Communication is critical, not only to conduct your day-to-day business, but also to prepare for and respond to emergency situations.
- Do you have documented emergency plans and procedures?
- Have you communicated those plans and procedures to employees?
- How well have you trained employees? Do you regularly conduct emergency drills?
- Are procedures and plans placed and posted for easy access in the event of an emergency?
- How do you inform and communicate with employees in the event of an emergency?
- Do you have plans in place to communicate with emergency personnel?
There are many resources available to help your organization prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergency or crisis situations:
A significant resource investment is necessary to ensure the safety of employees. The most important take-away from the workshop was that we each need to take responsibility to DO SOMETHING to protect our greatest assets. HR Source will continue to work to provide resources to our members and our community to help organizations become better prepared. Watch our website for future programs. Members can continue to rely on our HR Hotline at email@example.com to answer questions and provide resources regarding this and other HR concerns.